Richard Anderson, XC Racer

Avanti

Avanti

Saturday, March 6, 2010

NATIONALS 2010, Wellington

Mt vic would be one of the most challenging courses to race a Cross-country race on in New Zealand. Steep hard hill climbs and technical downhill where you could never get a break. I was excited about this course as it really suited me. I got a feel for the course early on in the week and then didn't go near it on thursday and friday. I needed to win this one for myself, sponsors and everyone who has supported me throughout the season. Saturday came around pretty fast and before I knew it I was being called up to the line. The track conditions were great and it was a nice day. Maybe a little to hot! Under 19s started with the elite and under 23. I had planned to race hard from the start but not go out to hard. I got a good start and by the top of the 1st climb I was sitting about 4th or 5th out of everyone. Brad Hudson, another under 19 rider was sitting on my wheel at this point. About half way through the 1st lap I had left him and a few other riders and had caught elite riders Mike Northcott and Brendon Sharrett who were leading the elite race. I stayed with these guys for a couple of laps until Mikey broke away. I didn't want to blow trying to keep up with him so I stayed with Brendon until the last half of my last lap. I attacked there and held on to come across the line in second place at the time out of the whole field and winning under 19. Mikey and Brendon still had one more lap to do. It was great racing with those top guys and Brendon and I pushed each other through out the race which was really good. I finished 3min 11sec in front of 2nd place getter Logan Horn from christchurch. Brad Hudson was 3rd.
I would like to thank everyone who has helped me out and all my sponsors. My major sponsors are Peakfuel, Credit Recoveries Limited, Reidie Cycles and Mum and Dad. Tony Catterick my coach has been great and has been the main guy behind my results. Lucky to have him and also all my supporters.


No comments:

Post a Comment