Richard Anderson, XC Racer

Avanti

Avanti

Sunday, March 21, 2010

Rainbow Rage 2010

I haven't done the rainbow in a few years so I was looking forward to racing it this time. I have had a bit of a break from riding for a few weeks. I didn't know how I would feel in the race but still wanted to have a go at winning it.
The morning started off cold but then we quickly warmed up after a few km into the race. There was a break away that a few of us missed but we didn't really think it was a threat as it was in the 1st 5km of the 106km race. Once we got about 20km into the race and we hit the gravel, about 6 of us broke away and started to chase the 2 break away riders. Our bunch was just about to catch them until a rider nipped my wheel and crashed. It was joel Macmillan who later on won the race. I slowed the bunch down so that he could get up and still be in the race. This was a good move as he probably would have done the same for me and me and him were the strongest in the chasing bunch. We caught the break away about 20min later and at the half way point joel and I broke away with another guy up island saddle (The Main Climb). We worked together for the rest of the race until I got a flat tyre 15km to go. Joel went on to win the race and I got 3rd. I was happy about how my race went. It was good for training. I am looking forward to training hard again and will keep you posted

No comments:

Post a Comment