Richard Anderson, XC Racer

Avanti

Avanti

Saturday, March 6, 2010

Rotorua North Island Cup Final

Its always good going up to Rotorua to race and ride the tracks. We arrived two nights before the race and managed to go over the track the morning before. The track was a really fun track with a few small hard climbs in it and some sweet technical sections. After a couple of laps around it we called it quits and rode a few other tracks, then went back to the cabin.
Race day was a great day and really warm. My legs were feeling alright but still a bit tired from the weeks training. The start of the race was fast and hard as we took off with the elite men up the road then into the single track. I had talked to my coach (Tony Catterick) about race tactics and we decided that I should just sit in with the front of the under 19 race for the 1st few laps. This was good as I found more lines as the race went on because I was following local rider Sam Shaw. Half way into the 3rd lap I had planned to attack and hopefully hold a lead through to the finish. This is exactly what I did and it worked really well. I finished 1min 44sec in front of 2nd place rider Sam Shaw. I was pleased with my result and happy to use different tactics that work.

No comments:

Post a Comment